My take on this aspect of the table top gaming experience. Not an expert just one person trying to do what he can & trying to demonstrate that anyone can do it.

Friday 27 August 2021

Two more Empire units done!

 



 So, two more units done in a reasonably short time (at least for me) The Flagellants were done a few days ago, and within a day the unit of pike men were done. For the pike men I really tried to do a speed paint process, started in the afternoon just after flocking the Flagellants, and all painting done by 2pm the next day. For the most part I went with GW contrast paints on the pike men while the other unit was a mix of traditional paints and some contrast.



  For these guys I did initially start off with contrast paints, but I was not happy with the results. I also lack a wide variety of contrast colours. I wanted the unit to not look homogeneous, as I they should be a rag tag collection of followers, but at the same time I wanted an overall tone to the unit.  I used a lot of P3 colours, and some craft paint colours. The flesh was contrast paint supplemented with traditional paints. These pics were taken before the final mat spray so look shinier than normal.



These figures were almost entirely contrast, only the metal, the pikes and some highlighting being done with regular paints. I have to say these were a lot of fun to do and that is because of the contrast paints. The colours just flowed over the figures and sank into the recesses just as advertised. It was a quick process and makes me feel like I might actually be able to go through the remaining 200+ figures fairly rapidly. These figures have been gathering dust for some time now, apparently waiting for me to discover contrast paints!


Again let me repeat, these are speed painted for the purpose of getting them on the battlefield. They certainly will never win any awards, and that is okay by me, at 61 years of age, I just want to get stuff done and played with.

No comments:

Post a Comment