My take on this aspect of the table top gaming experience. Not an expert just one person trying to do what he can & trying to demonstrate that anyone can do it.

Monday 8 February 2021

Derelict automobiles for Pulp action

 

About time for something not GW related!

Spotted one of these in a post by David Phipps of Pulp Alley fame, rather liked it and thought I might give it a try. They are nice castings by Rusty Nail, very fragile, but very attractive. I had primed them with a rust coloured rattle can, thinking they would be nice as fully rusted out shells. Then I realized that as I planned to use them in a setting close to the time they would have been new, I realized that some paint would have to still be present on the wrecks. So, they were re-primed/base coated black.


When I started to add colour to what has become the blue car, I had, instead, started with a red colour. However I had to abandon this plan as the rust and the red were too close in colour, and therefore the contrast effect was muted. 

I had fun with the rust, maybe too much fun! It is a combination of powders and washes of various shades. The green car was just a straight paint job, I went lightly over the car to try and reduce the brightness of paint to simulate age. As stated before, the blue car was red, but the red needed to be changed, so rather than starting over, I dabbed the red on the car with blue, then more rust dabbed where required.



Near the 'end' of the painting I encountered a problem; for some reason the paint was pulling away from the model. I am certain that the models were well washed, and the priming had been done at least a year ago, maybe longer, so I am at a loss to understand what was happening. I did just press on, repainting what I could, and adding mud where paint would not stick. Yes I could have started over, in fact I am quite certain that removing any paint on the models might not be that hard...In the end I chose to work with what I had.



At any rate the paint seems to be stable enough, so I guess they can be considered finished.




No comments:

Post a Comment